Read Genesis 1-2 here:
Throughout we will look at who God is, but notice He reveals, or unveils, himself through creation. The purpose of creation was not for God to hide Himself and be unspoken of in regard to what exists, but so that He might be more fully known & seen.
Our purpose for learning is not just to learn and know what is right and wrong, what is good for us and what is bad for us by experience and experiment. The goal of science is to know God. Creation exists because God existed first. So, let us step back a moment and consider: our goal is not just to know ourselves, but the God who is intimately concerned with out wellbeing. The God who made us the way we are is a little bit of what we will look at this week, with the hope that we will learn a little more about how to live well in His light.
1. God is. God was. God will be. He is not a what, but a holy Who.
2. Who is this God exactly? He has a voice and His Word creates. God is reasonable and logical. The Word, the Express Image of God was there in the beginning. The Word interacted with creation, bringing light and life and love into where and who and why we are.
3. The breath of God, or the Spirit of God, brooded over the earth. The Wind of God blew over the earth. God is spirit. The Spirit is needed for a new work of God to start.
4. God gives light at the start of a new work. Indeed, whenever a new advance of the Kingdom has been given, it started with light shining in a chaotic culture. God brings truth to bear in our abode.
5. God is wise. He knows how to differentiate the diversity of life and inorganic forms. He does all things well. When he is finished, it is very good.
6. God is good. Everything that God made was good, therefore, we can know that God is good. It requires a good person to make something good.
7. God is persons, and not just a singular person. He said, Let US make man in our image. for God to say US and our (singular) image, implies that God is one God, one character, but a plurality of persons: God Himself, the Voice & Expressed Thoughts of God, the Breath of God.
8. God is not ashamed. We should not be ashamed of God. We never need to doubt God. God never doubted Himself. After all, there is no reason to doubt life or doubt goodness or doubt love.
9. God is alive and wanted life to flourish. God had thoughts and opinions and a voice and breath and gave life to the man and woman and gave gifts to the human race. God created and formed and fashioned and spent time with man in the garden. God made beauty and is therefore beautiful and majestic. Allah al-Majd.
10. God is love. How do we know God is love? The word love is not even mentioned? It is clear: God gave. To love is to give. God gave His life to the mankind. We are made in the image of God and are meant to bear His life within us. We are not meant to be a dead image, but to be a living image, walking with God, working with God, worshipping God.
Do you worship God? Do you ever step back from life and rest and reflect on the character and nature of God? Do you ever consider all that God has done and give thanks? Oh, what a loving Father we have! He sent His Son Jesus to die for you so you could live. HE died so that you could live. How loving is that? HE made the sacrifice. Stop trying to sacrifice yourself for God. Let Him give himself to you. God is a self-sacrificing God. The Lord is a self-expressing God. We reflect His glory.